Good Things For Gwendolyn: Wizard of Oz

She’s obsessed. Totally and completely obsessed with the Wizard of Oz. What happened to my little baby? How do I have a child big enough to be fully captivated by a film made in 1939? I know, I know — it’s a classic. But never in a million years did I think my Little Miss Particular would not only love the film, but love every single part of it… even the talking parts… even the black and white bits. We rented Wizard of Oz from Netflix on a lark after hearing that G’s friend Samantha likes it. When Gwendolyn wasn’t felling well over the last few weeks and rejected her normal go-tos (Tangled, Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, etc.), we popped the Wizard in the DVD player on a whim and I think I even said, “Doubtful” out loud. But from the moment the movie started, Miss G was riveted. Her eyes were huge and she didn’t complain once. And, oh when “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” started I thought she may explode. She has this song in her music box and seeing it “live” well that just about made her entire week. Sure enough, the next day the only movie she wanted to watch was Wizard of Oz. And the next day. And the next. We have now purchased it…and it has paid for itself twice over. While I was at it I got several of the fun classic musicals, totally excited to share these goodies with my new musical-loving buddy. Only problem is she will have none of it. Only Wizard of Oz. The rest will have to wait until the ruby slipper lustre has faded.

We also downloaded the music on her iPod and so it is pretty much a 24/7 Wizard of Oz fest around here. She especially likes when I sing along (I have now learned all of the words to the “Munchkinland Musical Sequence”: “Ding dong the witch is dead. Which old witch? The Wicked Witch…”). I definitely had my thespian days in high school and college and I’ve always loved a good musical, but I am no Judy Garland. I’m so glad my sweetness thinks I am. I’ll sing around the clock for her if she keeps looking at me with that “Oh wow Mommy!” expression. She melts me.

I am in a bit of a pickle though. Gwendolyn was having trouble in the bath without her bipap, panicking a bit since she is still recovering from her illness, so I was distracting her and nothing would calm her down but chatting about the Wizard of Oz. For some reason I promised to find her Wizard of Oz pajamas and that really relaxed her so I got well into the promise. Little did I know that this would be a challenge. I’ve googled and searched and never thought Wizard of Oz pjs would be so hard to find. If anyone knows where or how I could make this special ensemble happen, please share.

Now off to see the Wizard… :)

About Victoria

Mom fighting to END SMA, the #1 genetic killer of young children.

Comments

1. One idea would be to purchase some fabric (I’ve seen all kinds of cute Wizard of Oz fabrics online) and then contact someone through Etsy to make a pair of pajamas using their pattern but your fabric! I don’t sew, but that’s what I would do if I couldn’t find any premade ones online. Good luck! So glad to hear Gwendolyn is feeling better!

2. Hi there- try going to cafepress.com and searching for Wizard of Oz. There are 93,000 items related http://shop.cafepress.com/wizard-of-oz and you could probably piece something together!

3. MT Grandma says:

If you or someone finds Wizard of Oz fabric I’d be happy to make PJ’s for Gwendolyn. It’s one of my favorite movies too. I have two signs on my door that welcome people with “don’t make me call out the flying monkeys” and ” I haven’t been the same since the house fell on my sister.” But then TJ would tell you I am a bit weird. 😉

4. Justin and Megan Morseth says:

Would she perhaps settle for some ruby slippers? My daughter is quite enamored of hers. I know she most certainly loves her special PJs, too, so I certainly realize the dilemma. But I thought I would share this link none-the-less…

5. Nora's Aunt Tiffany says:
  6. Hello Victoria,

Congratulations to you. You are a very good FIGTHER!
    I have a baby with SMA to and i want to say i be happy reading your website and i am soo HOPEFULL the CURE will be soon.

I learn alot on internet about how to care kids with SMA, but in you website i think this be perfect. thanks alot.
    Hugs to all.

Ricardo father baby with SMA type 1.

7. How fun that you found something new for Gwendolyn to enjoy!

I couldn’t find any cute ready-made jammies online either but there are defintely lots of fabric choices – here’s my favorite (I love the pink stripes in the background – so girly!)

Good luck and best wishes from the Jersey Shore!

8. That is great, what a fun movie for her to be into! If she would “settle” for a t-shirt, and you could pair them with some pj bottoms, they do have a bunch of t-shirts on ebay. Good luck, I did a quick search and couldn’t find any pj’s specifically either….wish I could sew for you but you never know what they would turn out like! :-) Hugs, Em

9. Found one site with one pair of kids pj’s….
    Maybe those would work?

10. Margaret says:

I know where to get fabric. Nightgown? How tall is she? I’ll get working on this if you like!

Please tell Miss G. that her great-uncle Hal LOVED Wizard of Oz. We gave him the VHS version for his 60th birthday. :)

11. wendy greenspan says:

many years ago, when my now 16 year old and 21 year old were younger the MGM grand hotel in las vegas had a wizard of oz store – do not know if it is still around

12. Rachel Johns says:
  13. Rachel Johns says:

Sorry – I just realised they’re for a doll :(

14. You guys are seriously amazing! Thank you for all of these wonderful ideas. My cousin Margaret is really excited to make some jammies for Gwendolyn. She already purchased some fabric and now I just need to measure little miss long legs. I will post a picture as soon as we have them. Thank you all so much for your generous offers and help. We feel truly blessed to have such kind people in our lives.

15. I love the Wizzard of Oz!! I am a muical freak and known to singalong to all the musicals I go to see in NYC (while visiting my son.)

I would suggest fabic and sewing a pair. If I lived closer I would make her some Oz PJ’s. For some odd reason I think there is a store in NYC, or maybe LV?

–Mari

16. Jennifer Calafiore says:

How great that she likes Oz. I bet I can guess what she’ll be next Halloween 😉 We got Hayden The Sound of Music awhile back because she too thought her mommy was a broadway singer with those songs. But she just wants us to fast forward the movie to the singing part.

17. How fun! We had our own Wizard of Oz fest over here about 6 months back, and we really got into the original books by Frank Baum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books. Since the stories were written in the early 1900s they are all in the public domain and have been made into audio books. Each story is about 5-6 hours long. LibriVox has them available to be downloaded (for Free). Here is the link to the first story in the series: http://librivox.org/the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz/. Enjoy!

18. Well I couldn’t find any pajamas but I did find some super cute plush dolls to go with the pajamas that are being made :) My mother was named after Judy Garland and so I too naturally have had a love for this timeless classics my entire life.